Why do I blog bible verses from time to time?
It’s a chronology of my learning and understanding that I share out of love. It’s a personal spiritual journey that has potential solace for others.
Why this verse today?
Yes, it was a reading at Mass. However, it’s what happened after Mass that makes me want to share it:
- My father sometimes writes paper notes and inserts them into his Bible.
- They are of lessons learned or special times shared with others about specific passages.
- I wrote down this reference and “flipped to Philippians” (you don’t hear that every day).
- My hope was that my Dad could turn to it during his periods of great anxiety.
- There was already a note for this same chapter and verses!
- It was from three years ago.
- I remembered that period in my life as soon as I read the note.
- A very personal 7-year mentoring relationship had just ended. I was hurt, confused, sad … and angry. It was one of the most tumultuous times of my life. I’d asked my father to suggest a verse that would help me understand.
- He’d suggested this one.
The passage I’d referred to my father for his times of need …
was the exact one he’d provided when I needed it most.
Sometimes my spiritual journey is a whisper. Other times it’s like getting hit over the head. The Holy Spirit literally blows my mind.